Chubbie

Growing up wearing clothes designed for the chubby girl was so heart wrenching.  It was difficult to find clothes that didn’t make me look matronly.  I loved school, but I despised shopping for new school clothes each year.  My mother would take my sister and I clothes shopping together (who was by the way, THIN).  While trying on my chubbie size and her 6X (for thin little girls) in the same dressing room, I  was reminded of the comparison.  Of course, I didn’t resent my sister, I envied her.

002 (2) - jpg

I’ve kept these feelings hidden throughout the years, until now…

The NYU Costume Studies M.A. Program proudly presents their annual exhibition, Beyond Measure: – Fashion and the Plus Size* Woman, beginning January 13-February 3, 2016.  “The fashion industry as played an undeniable role in enabling the stigmatization of larger women’s bodies.”   http://beyondmeasurenyu.com/

chubbie pattern

4088 Chubbie Pattern, Printed 1961 Simplicity Pattern Company, Inc., (founded 1927)

You’ll notice the model was not a “chubbie” girl.  Though the merger between academia and the museum is interesting, will this have a “real” effect on our overall culture?

About 1marylou

I enjoy the process of pushing the world of fiber to its limits with the use of knitting needles and various methods of experimentation. Along the way, the lens of my camera captures what I see.

9 Responses to Chubbie

1. Noémie says:

Yes, very helpful thank you 🙂

2. 1marylou says:

Check out this website for knitting standards http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/womansize.html Also, take a look at The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd. Always check your gauge to guarantee a good fit. I always look at the schematic of the pattern as I knit. I compare my bust, length and sleeve length to the pattern schematic too. I hope this info. gives you something to start your adventure. Mary Lou

Liked by 1 person

3. 1marylou says:

Exactly!

4. KerryCan says:

This exhibit looks wonderful and the discussion about depictions of women needs to be had over and over again. When I see so-called plus-size models I am always shocked at how thin they seem, like the girls on the Simplicity pattern sleeve!

5. Noémie says:

I kind of guessed they were using some sort of sizing standards… But I also assumed that these designers were just designing garnments that would suit their own bodyshape, so it looks gorgeous on them… So how you know how to tweak a pattern to your own measurements then? I assumed I had to find a designer with the same bodyshape as me 🙂

6. 1marylou says:

You do know the industry has what’s called “industry standards.” Those measurements are what knitting/garments patterns designers adhere to. I realize the importance of those standards because they give us all a jumping off point to individualize are own patters. I must admit though, when I hear “industry standards” the hair on the back of my neck stands straight up. Mary Lou

Liked by 1 person

7. 1marylou says:

Yes, we are both beautiful. Growing up definitely put it all it to perspective. Difference is what makes life interesting. XO Mary Lou

8. Mary Lou, what a great exhibition!! I would love to visit that. I wish we would celebrate more all the wonderful form and shapes women (and girls) come.
    I am a generous 6feet+ not your every day girl either but it always makes me sad if women cannot enjoy their appearance or find beautiful clothes to make them happy. I think, both you and your sister were beautiful and I have no doubt you still are! xo Johanna

9. Noémie says:

Even today when I look at knitting patterns online, I sometimes find myself buying patterns designed by petite thin women… With the subconscious hope that I ll look like them. Then I spend all these weeks knitting to find out that it just isn’t the right shape for me at all…. 😦 it’s hard to find the right flattering shape 😦